I tried out a few new recipes this Christmas, and am glad to be able to say that they were a hit! This was a good thing, since there’s not really a good back up plan for holiday meals. I didn’t want us to end up eating at Denny’s or some other fabulous chain restaurant like in the “The Santa Clause”. Anyways, I thought I would share the recipes, which I hope you can enjoy trying out yourself! Happy cooking!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
5-6 pound bone in pot roast
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
4 red potatoes quatered
2 handfuls baby carrots halved
2 handfuls pearl onions
1. Place roast in slow cooker. Fit vegetables in around the sides of the roast. Mix corn starch and water. Add in onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper, whisk until incorporated. Pour over top of the roast.
2. Turn slow cooker to High and cook for 3 hours. Then turn slow cooker down to Low and continue cooking for another 5 hours.
3. Remove roast from slow cooker, and slice to serve. Serve vegetables and sauce alongside.
Mexican Roasted-Corn and Red Pepper Soup
1 bag frozen corn
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (red onion adds a pretty color to the soup)
1 jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 32 ounce carton reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup thick ‘n chunky salsa
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sour cream
grated colby jack or cheddar cheese for serving
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 15x10x1 inch pan with cooking spray. Spread corn across pan in a single layer. Spray corn generously with cooking spray. Bake about 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
2. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix roasted corn and remaining ingredients, except sour cream and cheese, together in slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on Low for 7-9 hours. Top each serving with sour cream and cheese as desired.
Christmas Morning Ham and Cheese Strata
12 slices white bread, no crust
1 pound cooked, diced ham
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups milk
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup crushed cornflakes
1. Arrange 6 slices of bread in the bottom of a greased 13×9 inch baking pan. Top with ham and cheese. Cover with remaining bread, making 6 “sandwiches”.
2. In a bowl beat eggs, milk, worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir in onion, and pour over all. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Pour melted butter or top, and sprinkle with corn flakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.